Friday, August 31, 2012

Audrey Chibbaro





Audrey was my friend. We met at Brooklyn College while taking Ceramics in the summer of 2004. Her art was... weird (meaningless word to describe somebody's art). She was a hardworking, deep and rather dark artist, wrapped in her inner world, unhappy.

In 2005 I transferred to Hunter College to major in media. Audrey agreed to be interviewed for my very first documentary project. I still have 2 or 3 tapes with her. When the video was done, I made a DVD, for which Audrey let me use her animation and stills from her college exhibit.

In 2006 Audrey moved to Beacon, upstate NY. I visited her once. I saw her new artworks, but did not see the Loner. I asked, where is he, and she said, he's hiding.

She died of cancer in the winter of 2008. I was in India and did not attend the remembrance day. What have become of her Inhabitants? Where are her sculptures? Paintings? This was for the first time when i lost a friend... I felt we were too young to die.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zojfxOuPtsQ


1 comment:

  1. Just read the article and after some research concluded that I have some of her works/inhabitants. I recently purchased them from a New York antiques dealer. I searched the name on the bottom of the pieces and found You Tube videos of Audrey. After watching them it was clear that I had some of her last works(2007) shortly before her passing in 2008. Just wanted to share that.

    ReplyDelete